skip

Attractions

Fayetteville is a city in Cumberland County, North Carolina. Discover the history of Fayetteville and Fort Bragg NC and the many attractions its has to offer you, your family and friends!

Fort Bragg Military Base

Mission

Fort Bragg equips, trains, rapidly deploys, and sustains full spectrum forces supporting Combatant Commanders from a Community of Excellence where Soldiers, Families and Civilians thrive.

Vision

Fort Bragg is postured to respond globally with world-class forces from America's premier community.

In 1918, the Chief of Field Artillery, General William J. Snow, seeking an area having suitable terrain, adequate water, rail facilities and a climate for year-round training, decided that the area now known as Fort Bragg met all of the desired criteria.

Consequently, Camp Bragg came into existence on Sept. 4, 1918. Camp Bragg was named for a native North Carolinian and Confederate general, General Braxton Bragg. Prior to its establishment as a military reservation, the area was a desolate region. Huge forests of Longleaf and Loblolly pines covered the sandy area. About 1729 Highland Scots began cultivating the land in the Longstreet Presbyterian Church area in what was to become part of Fort Bragg.

At the beginning of World War I only seven percent of the land was occupied and the population consisted of approximately 170 families. During the first year of its existence, $6 million was spent in purchasing land and erecting cantonments for six artillery brigades. Although cessation of hostilities came in November 1918, work was rapidly pushed to a conclusion and Feb. 1, 1919, saw the completion of Camp Bragg. As soon as World War I was over, the artillery personnel and material from Camp McClellan, Alabama were transferred to Camp Bragg in order accommodate testing the new long range weapons developed during the war.

Because demobilization had begun, the War Department decided to reduce the size of Camp Bragg from the planned six to a two brigade cantonment to provide a garrison for Regular Army units and a training center for National Guard Artillery units. Military personnel then took over all of the work at the Camp, a large part of which had been done by wartime civilian employees.

The year 1920 saw little military training taking place. A large tract of land on the reservation had been set aside as a landing field to be used in connection with observation of Field Artillery firing. Here were stationed various aircraft and balloon detachments to photograph terrain for mapping, carry mail, spot for artillery and forest fires, and serve in support of the Field Artillery Board. On April 1, 1919, the War Department officially established Pope Field, naming the landing field in honor of First Lieutenant Harley H. Pope. Lieutenant Pope and his crewman, Sergeant Walter W. Flemming, were killed when their Curtiss JN-4 Jenny airplane crashed in the Cape Fear River Jan. 7, 1919 while mapping a U.S. airmail route between Emerson Field, Camp Jackson, South Carolina and Newport News, Virginia. Now one of the oldest installations serving the Air Force early pilots landing at Pope Field were instructed to make one or two low passes over the landing strip to clear it of wild deer.

Early in 1921, two Field Artillery units, the 13th and 17th Field Artillery Brigades, began training in the camp. However, due to postwar cutbacks, the War Department decided to abandon Camp Bragg on Aug. 23, 1921. This was averted by the determined efforts of General Albert J. Bowley, Commanding General of Camp Bragg, various civic organizations in the nearby city of Fayetteville, and a personal inspection by the Secretary of War. The abandonment order was rescinded on Sept. 16, 1921.

One year later, Sept. 30, 1922, Camp Bragg became Fort Bragg, a permanent Army post. Under the direction of General Bowley, development of the fort progressed rapidly. Parade grounds, training facilities, baseball diamonds and other athletic facilities were constructed to lend a permanent air to Camp Bragg. Because Camp Bragg was the only reservation in the United States with room enough to test the latest in long range artillery weapons, the Field Artillery Board was transferred here from Fort Sill, Okla. on Feb. 1, 1922. The Camp was redesignated as Fort Bragg, Sept. 30, 1922.

From 1923 to 1926, Field Artillery regiments made considerable progress in learning how to operate in deep sand, heavy mud, swamps, streams and forests. For each type of Field Artillery weapon there was an organization stationed at Fort Bragg armed with that particular weapon. This made Fort Bragg a Field Artillery Laboratory where every new item of Field Artillery equipment could be given a practical field test. Pope Field also served a role in the development of tactics that would prove critically important in shortening World War II.

From 1923 through 1927, permanent structures were erected on Fort Bragg. Four of the brick artillery barracks, fifty-three officers' quarters, forty noncommissioned officers quarters, magazines, motor and materiel sheds, streets and sidewalks were built. With the planting of lawns, shrubs and trees, Fort Bragg began to take on the appearance of one of the finest of all Army posts.

Ever aware of the need for friendly relations between the military personnel and the surrounding civilian population, a new highway was built connecting the center of the post with the limits of the reservation, making the Fort more accessible to the outside world. 1932 saw the construction of the beautiful Post Hospital, as well as additional barracks. The additional barracks were needed due to the arrival of the 4th Field Artillery from Camp Robinson, Arkansas on June 9, 1931. Fort Bragg became the headquarters for District A of the Civilian Conservation Corps, which supervised the work and administration of approximately thirty-three camps in the two Carolinas during the Depression. Fort Bragg also served as a training site for units of the National Reserve Officers Training Corps, Officers Reserve Corps and Citizens Military Training Corps.

The fort grew slowly, reaching a total of 5,400 Soldiers by the summer of 1940. With the threat of World War II and passage of the Selective Service Act, a reception station was built here and Fort Bragg exploded to a population of 67,000 Soldiers within a year. In 1940, paved runways replaced dirt, open fields although much of the parking ramp space remained unpaved until after Word War II. In March 1942, the Army created the Airborne Command at Fort Bragg with native North Carolinian then Brigadier General William C. Lee as commanding general. In 1940, he had been assigned by President Franklin D. Roosevelt to develop airborne forces at Fort Benning. His efforts there had resulted in the first tactical parachute battalion and it was based on his recommendations that the Army decided to create airborne divisions as units of more than 10,000 Soldiers complete with artillery, engineers and support elements. In August 1942, Lee was promoted to Major General and given command of the 101st Airborne Division. Both the 82nd and 101st Airborne Divisions moved to Fort Bragg in the fall of 1942. Fort Bragg served as the airborne training center for these first airborne units. General George C. Marshall, then Chief of Staff of the Army, visited Fort Bragg to review training and the troops. In 1944, the Marshalls bought a cottage in Pinehurst that they called Liscombe Lodge. They often spent the winter at their Pinehurst home and it was here that they later retired.

To augment Fort Bragg, the Army began construction in the spring of 1942 at Camp Hoffman and by early 1943 an airfield was complete along with 1,750 buildings. The camp was renamed Camp Mackall in honor of Private John Thomas Mackall who was one of the first paratroopers killed in combat during a parachute assault on Algiers in North Africa in November 1942.

Before the war's end all five World War II airborne divisions—the 82nd, 101st, 11th, 13th and 17th—along with a host of independent units, including the 555th Parachute Infantry Battalion, the Army's first black parachute unit trained at the fort filled Fort Bragg air with parachutes, troop transports and gliders.

In addition to airborne training, the Fort Bragg complex, whose population exceeded 100,000 personnel by mid-1943, continued to grow as new inductees were received by the thousands throughout the war years. Tens of thousands of artillerymen were trained on the post's extensive ranges. The 9th and 100th Infantry Divisions trained at Fort Bragg, as did the famous 2nd Armored Division.

Upon its return from Europe, the 82nd Airborne Division was permanently assigned to Fort Bragg. In 1951, XVIII Airborne Corps was reactivated here and Fort Bragg became widely known as the "Home of the Airborne."

The Psychological Warfare Center (now U.S. Army Special Operations Command) was established here in 1952 and Fort Bragg became headquarters for Special Forces Soldiers. More than 200,000 young men underwent basic combat training here during 1966-70. In April 1965, 82nd Airborne Division elements deployed to the Dominican Republic in support of Operation Power Pack. In 1966, division elements deployed to Vietnam. At the peak of the Vietnam War in 1968, Fort Bragg's military population rose to 57,840. July 1, 1973, Fort Bragg came under the newly established U.S. Army Forces Command headquartered at Fort McPherson, Ga.

In 1983, the 82nd Airborne Division successfully supported the no-notice deployment of two brigade-sized elements to Grenada. Fort Bragg was instrumental in rescuing American citizens and defeating Communist aggression in the Caribbean.

The 5th Special Forces group departed Fort Bragg for Fort Campbell, Ky. in 1986, while the 7th Special Forces Group moved into new quarters off Yadkin Road in 1989.

By 1989, Fort Bragg would employ 40,000 Soldiers and more than 8,000 civilians on its 140,618 acres. It is during this era that Fort Bragg earned its reputation as one of the Army's premier power projection platforms.

With so many of its troops on constant deployment, the post would not be idle. Fort Bragg would pick up the pace of construction to make the Soldiers and their Families proud to be stationed here. In December 1989, Fort Bragg once again threw itself whole heartedly into deploying the 82d Airborne Division to Panama for Operation Just Cause. It was with justifiable pride that the post learned of the division's successful combat jump into Panama—its first since World War II.

The last decade of the 20th century found Fort Bragg engaged in repeated power projection efforts. To counter Iraqi aggression in Southwest Asia, Fort Bragg worked around the clock to deploy XVIII Airborne Corps. The August 1990 success of speeding Corps troops to Saudi Arabia to "draw the line in the sand" in support of Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm was bittersweet as Fort Bragg assumed an eerie ghost town appearance with minimum personnel left behind.

Fort Bragg would devote all of its efforts in the waning years of the 1990s to smoothing the transition to the twenty-first century. Fort Bragg Soldiers deployed to provide humanitarian support for Hurricane Andrew, Operation Restore Democracy in Haiti, Operations Safe Haven and Safe Passage to safeguard Cuban refugees, Operation Joint Endeavor support in Bosnia, and Operations Allied Force/Joint Guardian/Rapid Guardian in Albania/Kosovo. With the changing mission of the United States Army the post eagerly concentrated on improving the quality of life for its Soldiers and Families, serving as an environmental steward for its increased acreage and serving as the premier power projection platform of America's elite Soldiers.

Fort Bragg underwent significant change in the 1990s. From the removal of wooden barracks to building construction/renovation through expansion of training areas into the newly purchased Overhills site, Fort Bragg greeted the new century with a fresh appearance.

Since 2000, Fort Bragg Soldiers have participated in combat and humanitarian operations in countries around the world. Fort Bragg responded to provide support to those impacted by Hurricane Katrina in 2005 and in Haiti after the 2010 earthquake. They are always ready to fight or lend a helping hand. Fort Bragg serves a vital role in the war on terror, deploying and supporting more troops than any other post, in support of Operations Enduring Freedom, Iraqi Freedom and New Dawn.

Fort Bragg continues to invest to modernize and expand facilities. The 82nd Airborne Division's 1955 barracks complex was replaced with modern buildings. Office buildings and barracks have also been constructed for units recently added to the division.

A new headquarters building was constructed on Knox and Randolph Streets for the U.S. Army Forces Command (FORSCOM) and the U.S. Army Reserve Command. These two major commands moved to Fort Bragg in 2011 when Fort Macpherson, Georgia, was closed under the Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) legislation. BRAC moves also resulted in the 7th Special Forces Group completing their relocation from Fort Bragg to Eglin Air Force Base, Florida.

Today Fort Bragg, "the Home of the Airborne and Special Operations," with approximately 57,000 military personnel, 11,000 civilian employees and 23,000 family members is one of the largest military complexes in the world.

Contact Numbers

Emergency 911
Information – Fort Bragg (910) 396-0011
Military Police Desk (910) 396-0391
Womack Army Medical Center (910) 907-6000/6292
American Red Cross (910) 396-1231/1232
Army Community Service (ACS) (910) 396-8682/8683
Army Emergency Relief (AER) (910) 396-2507
Army Substance Abuse Program (ASAP) (910) 396-4100
Financial Readiness Program (AER) (910) 907-3670
Better Opportunities for Single Soldiers (BOSS) (910) 396-7751
Cape Fear Valley Medical Center (910) 609-4000
Chaplain's Helpline (24/7) (910) 396-HELP
Corps Chaplain (910) 396-1121
Employment Readiness Program (910) 396-2390/1425
ACS Family Readiness Group Center (910) 432-3742
126th Finance Battalion (910) 396-6091/3205
Fort Bragg School System (910) 907-0200
Fort Bragg Billeting Office (910) 396-6334/7700
Housing – Picerne (on-post) (910) 764-4500
ID Card Facility/DEERS (910) 396-9339
Reserve Pay (910) 907-3231
Travel Pay (910) 432-4823
Legal XVII ABN Corps (910) 396-2511/6113
Legal Assistance Office - 82nd ABN Division (910) 432-0195
Multicultural Readiness Program (910) 396-6120
North Post Exchange (PX) (910) 436-4888
North Post Commissary (910) 396-2104
Relocation Assistance Program (910) 396-8682
Separations (910) 907-4823
South Post Exchange (910) 436-2166
South Post Commissary (910) 853-7333
Transition Center (910) 396-7472
Tricare Info (877) TRICARE
Watters Chaplain's Center (910) 396-4157/6564
Victim Advocate Hotline (910) 322-3418
Fort Bragg Reception Company (910) 396-5863/4244
Fort Bragg Operations Center (910) 396-0371
82nd Finance (910) 432-3969

Womack's Emergency Operations Center

(910) 907-8488

U.S. Army Special Operations Command EOC

(910) 432-7001

Fort Bragg Sexual Assault Hotline (910) 584-4267

 

1897 Poe House

206 Bradford Avenue
Fayetteville, NC 28301 910-486-1330
Website

Built in 1897 by Fayetteville businessman E. A. Poe and his wife Josephine, the house is part of the Museum of the Cape Fear Historical Complex. Tours offer a glimpse of life in upper-middle class homes during the early twentieth century and highlight changes that defined that era.

Arsenal Park

Arsenal Avenue at Myrover Street
Fayetteville, NC 28301 910-433-1547
Website

Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Depot

472 Hay Street
Fayetteville, NC 28301 910-483-2658

Facility

Airborne and Special Operations Museum

(ASOM) 100 Bragg Boulevard
Fayetteville, NC 28301 910-643-2766
Website NOTE: No private meetings will be held until further notice. Official military events will be considered.

The Airborne and Special Operations Museum preserves the extraordinary feats performed by airborne troops and their brother in arms, the special operations forces. By exploring the artifact displays, life-size dioramas, audio and visual displays, and motion simulator, you will gain a deeper respect and pride for the remarkable achievements of these brave All American Airborne soldiers.

Motion Simulator $5.00 and Movie Descending from the Clouds is now FREE.

82nd Airborne Division War Memorial Museum

Building C-6841 Ardennes Street
Fort Bragg, NC 28310 910-432-3443
Website

The 82nd Airborne Division War Memorial Museum brings the history of our beloved American heroes in the All American Division from its birth in 1917, to the airborne battles of World War II, to the campaigns in Vietnam, Grenada, Panama, and the Person Gulf, to the present. Also checkout the aircraft and memorials outside.

Fayetteville Independent Light Infantry Parade Grounds

Cool Spring and Meeting Street
Fayetteville, NC 28301 Website

On August 23rd 1793 the Fayetteville Independent Light Infantry Company (FILI) was organized on a field alongside Cross Creek on North Cool Spring Street. The birthplace of the F.I.L.I. would serve for many generations as a place for the F.I.L.I. to muster and drill.

Isaac Hammond, a free black man and a veteran of the American Revolutionary War served as a paid musician (fifer) for the unit. It was Isaac Hammond's dying request in 1822 that he be buried on the F.I.L.I. Parade Grounds in uniform with fife in hand that he might be near the F.I.L.I. in spirit. In accordance with his request he was buried with full military honors.

The monument on the parade grounds was erected in 1993 to commemorate the bi-centennial anniversary of the F.I.L.I. Company. The monument was constructed from material used to construct the Cumberland County Courthouse in 1893-1894.

Colonel Arthur "Bull" Simon Statue

Ardennes and Marion Street
Fort Bragg, NC 28310

Statue dedicated to a heroic special forces soldier that went above and beyond the call of duty throughout his long military career. One of many great American heroes, Colonel "Bull" Simon, was the overall ground commander of the famous Son Tay Raid in 1970. He later rescued two American businessmen kidnapped during the Iranian Revolution for H.Ross Perot.

Confederate Monument at Cross Creek Cemetery

North Cool Spring Street and Grove Street
Fayetteville, NC 2830

Confederate Women's Home

Glenville Avenue
Fayetteville, NC

Built in 1915 for widows and their daughters of the state's Confederate veterans. Closed in 1981.

Cornwallis Historical Marker

Green Street in Fayetteville

Marching to Wilmington after the Battle of Guilford Courthouse, stopped with his army in this town in April 1781.

Cross Creek Cemetery North

Cool Spring Street and Grove Street
Fayetteville, NC 28301 910-433-1457

Founded in 1785, the oldest public cemetery in Fayetteville is the burial ground for veterans from the Revolutionary War through the Spanish American War. The retaining wall along the southern boundary is believed to be the oldest piece of construction still standing in Fayetteville today.

Flora MacDonald Historical Marker

North Cool Spring Street
Fayetteville, NC 28301

Near this spot the Scottish heroine bade farewell to her husband, Allan MacDonald of Kingsburgh, and his troops during the march-out of the Highlanders to the Battle of Moores Creek Bridge, February 1776. This marker was placed by the Cumberland County Historical Society.

Marquis de Lafayette Statue

Ann Street
Fayetteville, NC 28301

This Marquis de Lafayette Statue was built to honor the city's namesake. Fayetteville shares the distinction of being named for the Revolutionary War hero with other cities and counties, however, Fayetteville, NC was the first to bear the name and the only one that the Marquis actually visited. In 1777, the Marquis de Lafayette joined the American Revolution against England and was assigned as a major general to George Washington's staff.

North Carolina Veterans Park

300 Bragg Boulevard
Fayetteville, NC 28301 910-433-1547
Website

The first state park dedicated to military veterans — young and old... living or deceased... from all branches of the Armed Services: Army, Navy Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard.

With its rich military heritage, Fayetteville is the perfect place to house the North Carolina Veterans Park. The city's beautifully revitalized downtown is a fitting location, given the spirit of renewal embodied in the park. What's more, North Carolina is proud to call itself the “Most Military Friendly” state, and the Veterans Park incorporates many natural and architectural elements that represent the state. Symbolic features pay homage to the veterans from over 100 North Carolina counties and represent the citizens who support them.

Iron Mike Statue-Fort Bragg

location Randolph and Armistead Streets
Fort Bragg, NC 28310

This 15-foot statue is dedicated to the airborne trooper who is always watching, waiting, and alert. "Iron Mike," the post's most prominent symbol since 1961; was the creation of the wife of a former deputy post chaplain. His stance is that of an airborne soldier who has completed a combat jump. The cover art for the book, Devils in Baggy Pants inspired this statue.

Iron Mike is a symbol of the thousands of airborne soldiers that have defended American liberties in numerous world conflicts and are continuing to do so today. Located at the traffic circle at Randolph and Armistead Streets on Fort Bragg and at Airborne and Special Operations Museum (ASOM).

Museum of the Cape Fear Historical Complex

801 Arsenal Avenue
Fayetteville, NC 28305 910-486-1330
Website

Enjoy the rich history of the Tar Heel state, including learning about Native Americans, European settlements, slavery, plank roads, steam boating, the Civil War and more. In addition to permanent exhibitions and a changing gallery, exhibits on naval stores, early 19th Century domestic life, transportation, and folk potters are featured. Other attractions include Arsenal Park, the remnants of the Fayetteville Arsenal, and the restored Victorian residence of E.A. Poe.

John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Museum

Building. D-2502, Ardennes and Marion Street
Fort Bragg, NC 28310 910-436-2366
Website

The JFK Special Warfare Museum, established in 1963, spotlights the proud history of the US Army Special Operations and Special Forces units, also know as the Green Berets. The history of unconventional warfare spans more than 250 years, dating back to the French and Indian War and Rogers Rangers. The Museum contains many unique items from World War II, The Vietnam War and current operations.

Lafayette Historical Marker

Gillespie Street at Franklin Street in Fayetteville

On March 4-5, 1825, was guest of Fayetteville (named for him 1783), staying at home of Duncan McRae, on site of present courthouse.

Liberty Point

Person and Bow Streets
Fayetteville, NC 28301 800-255-8217

Near this site in June 1775, a group of fifty-five patriots signed a document of freedom, known as the "Liberty Point Resolves", one year before the Declaration of Independence was signed. A granite marker commemorates their pledge to the cause of Independence and lists fifty-five signers names. Liberty Point is not only a locally cherished historical area but also a vestige of early street patterns with its notable triangular plot.

Long Street Presbyterian Church and Cemetery

Long Street
Fort Bragg, NC 28310 910-396-6680

Long Street Presbyterian Church is one of the first established in this area, along with Bluff and Barbeque churches, during the mid-1700s. The first congregation, composed of Highland Scots who settled in the area, met in 1756 in McKay's meeting house, until 1765 when the first Long Street Church was built out of logs. Likely built with slave labor, the standing two-story wooden church was completed in 1847 and represents the third church of this Argyle Community. Built on land owned by Duncan McLaughlin, the building and 6 acres were sold to the congregation in 1850.

Nearby a cemetery was established to serve the community. Still visible today, the cemetery is protected by a dry-laid stone wall and contains the earliest marker of 1773, and one marker with a Gaelic inscription. Dry-laid walls of this type were common among Highland crofters, and represent a skill transplanted to America. The graves of many early Scottish setters and their descendants, and possibly their slaves, are buried in this graveyard, along with one mass burial of Confederate soldiers killed at the nearby Battle of Monroe's Crossroads. The U.S. Army bought the church, cemetery and land from the congregation in 1923 to establish Camp Bragg. Descendants still hold annual services once a year here.

Open for escorted tours on the first Monday of each month or by special appointment. Visit Fort Bragg Cultural Resources Office for more details on individual and group tours, or call.

Market House

Person, Hay, Green, Gillespie Streets
Fayetteville, NC 28301

The Market House built in 1832 on the site of the 1788 State House, which was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1831. At the State House, North Carolina ratified the US Constitution, chartered UNC, and ceded her western lands to form the State of Tennessee. Architecturally unique, the Market House is the only National Landmark in Cumberland County. Historically meat and produce and other goods were sold beneath, while the second floor was utilized as the town hall. Occasionally slaves were sold at Market Square and the vast majority of these sales were as a result of indebtedness or estate liquidation. During the Civil War, a skirmish took place around the Market House involving Confederate Hampton's and Union General Sherman's troops. After the Civil War, the Market House remained an important part of the civic and economic life of Fayetteville, functioning as an open market into the 20th century.

Today, the Market House is one of the 40 National Landmarks in North Carolina.

The upstairs room still serves as meeting space. Located at the intersection of Hay, Gillespie, Person and Green Streets. 910-483-2073.

Colton-Clark-Monaghan House

113 Hillside Avenue
Fayetteville, NC 28301

This house was built in about 1835 for the Reverend Simeon Colton, the first principal of Donaldson Academy. A later owner, Edward Lee Clark, added upstairs rooms and a wrap around Victorian porch with corner gazebo.

Sandford House

910-483-6009
Website

According to local legend, Sherman's troops used the house as barracks during the Union occupation of Fayetteville in March 1865. Whether that legend is true or not, a bullet from the occupation did fly into the home. It chipped the marble mantle in the north room. Unfortunately, a former president had the chipped marble mantle repaired, innocently thinking it needed to be done. (Yankee, of course!) Fortunately, the repair does not match well, and we can still see where the bullet hit today.

"The Civil War Trail" runs through the backyard of the Sandford House today.

Cool Spring Tavern

119 North Cool Spring Street Fayetteville, NC 28301 910-433-1612

Having survived the 1831 fire, it is believed to be the oldest existing structure in the city. It was named so because of its proximity to the spring of that name. In 1789, the tavern housed the state delegates that were in town for the state convention to ratify the U.S. Constitution. The building is designed in the Federal style.

Cross Creek Cemetery (Brookside)

North Cool Spring Street and Grove Street
Fayetteville, NC 28301

Dr. A.S. Rose House 218 Hillside Avenue
Fayetteville, NC 28301 800-255-8217

E.E. Smith Monument 1200 Murchison Road
Fayetteville, NC 28301 Website

Dr. E.E. (Ezekiel Ezra) Smith, a respected African American educator, headed Fayetteville State University for an impressive 50 years. In fact, Smith gave some of his own land to build some of FSU's first buildings. He also served as an ambassador to Liberia and as the adjutant of the 3rd NC Regiment during the Spanish-American War. Other notable accomplishments include founding North Carolina's first black newspaper and serving as a Baptist Minister for the black First Baptist Church.

Etta Bell Clark Monaghan House

119 Hillside Avenue
Fayetteville, NC 28301

Often referred to as the Wedding Gift House, the delightful Victorian cottage was built in 1900 as a wedding gift by the Clark's for their daughter, so that she could live close by, as was a common practice in the Haymount neighborhood. Edward Lee Clark and his wife, Harriet Hightower Clark, lived with their only child Etta Bell until the last decade of the 19th century.

Evans Metropolitan A.M.E. Zion Church

301 North Cool Spring Street
Fayetteville, NC 28301 910-483-2862
Website

Fair Oaks House

1507 Morganton Road Fayetteville, NC 28301 800-255-8217

Fair Oaks was built in 1858 and included an octagonal summerhouse, the old kitchen, servants' quarters, smokehouse, and school house. The house incorporates a Georgian plan with Greek Revival and Italianate elements. Surrounding the house is the original cast iron fence with a beautifully designed gate. During General Sherman's occupation of Fayetteville in 1865, some of the Union troops camped on the grounds of Fair Oaks. A silver tray from the house that was used for target practice by Sherman's troops still remains with the original owner's family today.

Fayetteville Area Transportation and Local History Museum

325 Franklin Street
Fayetteville, NC 28301 910-433-1457
Website

From Native American trails to steamboats and trains, explore the importance of the early trade communities of Cross Creek and Campbellton. This museum outlines the development of the plank road system that connected Fayetteville to other towns throughout North Carolina. African American slave labor was used to build the plank roads. Formerly, the building was home to the Cape Fear and Yadkin Valley Railroad Company, which opened in Fayetteville in 1879 as a reorganization of the former Western railroad.

Freedom Memorial Park

Hay Street at Bragg Boulevard
Fayetteville, NC 28301 910-483-3003
Website

Hale House

630 Hay Street
Fayetteville, NC 28301 800-255-8217

The Hale House was constructed in 1847 and first owned by one of the journalistic forefathers of Fayetteville, Edward J. Hale. Hale, who came to Fayetteville as a young man, bought the Carolina Observer in 1825 and changed its name to the Fayetteville Observer. He served as publisher of the Observer until 1865 when the press was destroyed by Union General William T. Sherman. The destruction of the press was one of Sherman's objectives when he came to Fayetteville, citing it as a “rebel newspaper” of great importance.

Henry McLean House

1006 Hay Street
Fayetteville, NC 28301

The Henry McLean house was built in pre-Civil War Haymount in what was known as "The village of Belmont." The house sits on land, which McLean bought from Captain James A. J. Bradford, commander of the U.S. Arsenal.

Heritage Square

225 Dick Street
Fayetteville, NC 28301 910-483-6009
Website

Our tour guides would love to tell you about Heritage Square! Whether you're looking for a great way to spend an afternoon or a place to bring a bus load of school children, look no further than Heritage Square. Tours must be prearranged, and there is a nominal fee. Remember, Heritage Square is included in the book "Tarheel Ghosts" for a reason...shhh!

Holt-Harrison House

806 Hay Street
Fayetteville, NC 28301

Built in 1897 by textile industrialist Walter L. Holt, the Colonial Revival style of the Holt-Harrison helped seat the standard for dwelling built in Haymount, an upscale suburb of Fayetteville. Holt helped establish four textile mills in Fayetteville, which contributed to a period of great local prosperity at the turn of the century. Jesse Harrison, former mayor of Fayetteville, would later become an owner of the home. The Holt-Harrison House has more recently been used for commercial purposes.

Huske House

111 Hale Street
Fayetteville, NC 28301

Built in 1927 by Joseph Huske, the Huske House was home to one of Fayetteville's most prominent early families. Joseph Huske was the son of Major Benjamin R. Huske, founder of one of Fayetteville's landmark businesses, Huske Hardware House, which is now a popular restaurant downtown.

Mallet Rogers House

5400 Ramsey Street
Fayetteville, NC 28311 910-630-7043
Website

Built about 1830 and restored in 1986, it features exhibits, paintings, sculpture and mixed-media works by Methodist University art faculty and students. It was originally built for Charles Peter Mallet, a textile mill owner whose father served in the Revolutionary War and acquired the property as early as 1767.

Mansard Roof House

214 Mason Street
Fayetteville, NC 28301

Built 1883, The Mansard Roof House is constructed in the Second Empire style and is notable for its mansard roof, a steep, decorative metal roof crowned with a cast iron railing of fleur-de-lis design. Frank W. Thornton, a substantial Fayetteville merchant, built the house. He never lived in the house and it is believed he built it to rent, even though its elaborated detail is unusual for a rental property. This house is the only good surviving example of this style of residential architecture in the Fayetteville area.

Special Operations Memorial Plaza

2929 Desert Storm Drive and Yadkin Road
Fort Bragg, NC 28310 910-396-5401

This site features a memorial wall that honors Special Operations soldiers killed in the line of duty as well as memorial stones donated by Special Operations veterans groups. The Plaza is also home to the statues of the Special Warfare Soldier and Major Richard "Dick" Meadows.

Translation of Website

BOOK NOW



Copyright © 2019· All Rights Reserved · Deluxe Inn